A guide to carbon monoxide...

Carbon monoxide poisoning
The science behind it

Carbon monoxide poisoning causes a range of symptoms while in the body and blood stream. It can damage cells resulting in short term symptoms and effects and long term symptoms and effects.

Carbon monoxide gas is odorless, colorless, tasteless, non-irritating, and toxic to humans and animals. It can cause serious damage while it is being breathed and also in the days and weeks after being breathed.

Carbon monoxide displaces oxygen in the blood and starves cells of oxygen. It also disrupts other processes in the body which can further damage, destroy, and/or impact cellular functioning.

The amount of oxygen in blood is referred to as oxygen saturation. It is a measurement of the percentage of the total number of oxygen carrying "locations" in the blood that are actually carrying oxygen.

Arteries, which carry blood to cells, are usually 95%+ saturated with oxygen. When oxygen saturation falls below 80%, cells do not receive enough oxygen to continue to function normally. At 30% oxygen saturation, cells are dying.

Normally, oxygen binds with the hemoglobin (Hb) in red blood cells to form oxyhemoglobin (O2Hb). It also dissolves in small amounts in the liquid component of blood (plasma).

Carbon monoxide is particularly dangerous because the attraction (bond) between carbon monoxide and hemoglobin is 240 times stronger than the attraction (bond) between oxygen and hemoglobin.

When breathed, carbon monoxide reacts with hemoglobin (Hb) in red blood cells and forms carboxyhemoglobin (COHb).

Carbon monoxide molecules are easily able to displace oxygen in the blood causing oxygen saturation levels to drop fast. This means that even a small amount of inhaled carbon monoxide is dangerous and can be fatal.

Lack of oxygen can quickly result in damage affecting the brain, nervous system, heart, endocrine (regulatory) system, organ functioning, and can cause other damage.

Even if normal oxygen (and saturation) is restored, damaged cells will continue to die over the next few minutes, hours, days and weeks.

The brain does not regulate breathing based on the amount of oxygen in the blood. It regulates breathing based on levels of carbon dioxide (CO2) in the blood.

A carbon monoxide poisoning victim can easily lose consciousness without realizing that anything is wrong because the brain is unable to recognize that oxygen levels are falling dangerously low.

Carbon monoxide poisoning has biochemical effects that are more complex and serious than just oxygen deprivation alone. It also interferes with cellular functioning by attaching itself to myoglobin and cytochrome enzymes.

Other areas of functioning are impacted and cause carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Disruption of a normal fixed ratio between oxygen, carbon monoxide and nitric oxide in the body

  • Damage to blood vessels

  • Damage to the nervous system

  • Immune system responses during recovery

In the weeks following exposure, damage to blood vessels and these other areas of functioning can then cause damage to myelin, an important protein that coats neurons. Myelin helps transmit signals more quickly within the nervous system and brain. The damage to brain cells triggers the immune system, which then responds by causing brain inflammation, which in turn causes [more] brain damage.

This "biochemical domino effect" is what causes delayed symptoms and many of the long term symptoms and effects suffered by victims of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The amount of damage caused by carbon monoxide poisoning depends on many factors including the levels of carbon monoxide in the air, the length of time it is breathed, the level of physical activity while exposed, age, pre-existing health conditions, and overall health. There are other risk factors that increase the possibility of damage.

If exposed to elevated levels of carbon monoxide, any person or animal will develop symptoms as long as unsafe levels remain in the body/blood stream; however, people respond differently to the same level of exposure.

The biochemical effects of carbon monoxide poisoning while in the body range from mild to severe in people with the same level of exposure. The ongoing symptoms and after effects can range from nothing to severe in people with the same level of exposure.

Medical professionals can learn more about carbon monoxide treatment here.

Also see carbon monoxide poisoning and multi sensory sensitivity.

Your comments about carbon monoxide poisoning...

FacebookTwitterDiggDeliciousRedditStumbleuponYahoo My WebGoogle Bookmarks
Questions? Want to share your opinion? Do it here...
I think i may have been exposed
Carl
Hello,

I think i may have been exposed in my office over a long period of time and i started feeling really ill yesterday while the fire was on. When i left work i immediately started to feel better and today i never lit a fire and i feel fine, I have had a lot of air hunger over the last few weeks, i work 3 days a week in a office with a fire- log burner. There is a black sooty substance on the desks at work that i can only see if i rub my hand over the desk even if i have dusted the day before. what my main question is, if i cant get a doctors appointment until 4 days time, will it be necessary? can they pick up that i have been exposed or will it be a waste of time? should i still get checked?

Thanks

Carl

hemoglobin recovery
Reiner Thoni from Canada
Just curious as to what happens after exposure to Carbon monoxide. How long does it take the hemoglobin to recover and is there any effects from exposure?

Questions? Want to share your opinion? Do it here...
FacebookTwitterDiggDeliciousRedditStumbleuponYahoo My WebGoogle Bookmarks

 

Return to About carbon monoxide or top of Carbon monoxide poisoning and the science behind it




Exposed recently?
Learn more

Join the
recovery support
program

Easy ways you can
make a difference

Audio interviews
with experts

BSF: a natural
option?

Revealing the
invisible iceberg?

CO linked to
common disorders

Carbon Monoxide
Survivor